Winter in a Caravan or Motorhome
Gas not Electric for Heating!
We're all used to hooking up to electricity for the TV, kettle and overnight phone charging. Some I know have an even greater need - hair straighteners!
But on a ski-trip to Austria in Dec 2016 I hooked-up and set the motorhome heating thermostat to 18 degrees C. After about 3 days I checked the on-site electricity meter to gauge my spend rate and was horrified to learn I'd racked up a bill of over €200! Makes sense when you consider the temperature at night frequently drops below -10 degrees C, but I was a rookie.
So, gas is the answer and be prepared:
- Propane gas is required in cold temperatures. Butane is not good below -5.
- A 6kg propane bottle would do about 3-4days in my 8.5m Motorhome (€28 not €200!)
- The Austrian (German) gas bottle required different pipe fittings to my UK bottles
- The pipes required are called "pigtails" in the trade
- You can buy the French, German, Italian and UK pigtail variants from the Gas section on this website.